Wednesday 21 June 2017

Sails Work explanation.

Our challenge is to:

Create a matching sail for our yacht.
Explain how you would work out how much material would be required to make both sails.
Sails for the America’s cup.
  1. To find out the area of material I would need to make two sails I would have to use measurement.
  2. I measured the width and length of my sail. The width was 11.8cm and the length was 20.9cm.
  3. I then used the diagonal line on the sail as a ruler from the bottom of the paper to the side to create an identical sail.
  4. I then joined the triangle sails together to make a rectangle.
  5. Then I multiplied the width and length (which were the same as the one sail) together. That left me an area of 262.2cm².
  6. So the total area of material that I would need for two sails would be 262.2cm².
By Arly.


Jun 21, 2017 11:41:26 AM.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.